Short Range Certificate
If you are looking for a marine VHF radio operators certificate, then
you may what to consider obtaining a certificate that covers all aspects of
marine communications. The Long Range Certificate covers not just VHF but all
parts the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) .
Why study for half a certificate when you can get a full
GMDSS Restricted Operators Certificate (ROC)
The holder of a GMDSS LRC with Inmarsat endorsement and a STCW
Navigation Watch Keeping Certificate may apply to the MCA for a form to apply
for a GMDSS ROC.
All officers who have to comply with the requirements of the STCW Code
must have their GMDSS Certificate endorsed by the Maritime and Coastguard
To obtain an STCW endorsement, send a completed STCW Application Form
(currently MSF 4354 rev 02/14) together with supporting documentation to the
Maritime Coastguard Agency.
www.amerc.ac.uk/endorsement for further
GMDSS Long Range Certificate (LRC) covers
- Marine MF/HF (SSB) & VHF radio
- Digital Selective Calling
- Radio procedures - routine, urgency and distress
- Maritime Safety Information Broadcasts
- Maritime radio services
- Radio propagation, antennas and wavelengths
- Radio maintenance - daily, weekly and monthly
- Radio regulations and legal requirements
- Satellite communications - Inmarsat C & fleet
Who should attend this course:-
- Anyone planning to sail further than 50 miles
- Blue Water sailors
- Ocean Yachtmaster
- Yachtsmen taking part in ocean yacht rallies.
- World Cruising Club
- Oyster World Rally
- Blue Water Rally
- Odyssey rallies
- Skippers taking part in ocean races
- Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club
- Sydney Hobart Yacht Race
- World ocean racing
- Commercial yachts
- Pilot boats
Flexible course dates with 2 day or 4 day option
with exam on the last day
| Start Date||Finish date||Course Cost||Exam fee|| |
Long Range Certificate course over 2 days.
Please only consider doing the two day LRC on-line course if you can do the following:-
- Be prepared to complete ALL the on-line study.
- Usually takes 15 to 20 hours.
- Allow several days to complete the on-line study.
- You have very good Internet access.
- You can attend our training studio near Southampton for 2 days.
|22nd May, 2019 ||23rd May, 2019||£350.00||£140.00||FULL
|15th June, 2019 ||16th June, 2019||£350.00||£140.00|
|27th July, 2019 ||28th July, 2019||£350.00||£140.00|
|25th September, 2019 ||26th September, 2019||£350.00||£140.00|
|7th October, 2019 ||8th October, 2019||£350.00||£140.00|
|23rd October, 2019 ||24th October, 2019||£350.00||£140.00|
|7th December, 2019 ||8th December, 2019||£350.00||£140.00|
| Start Date||Finish date||Course Cost||Exam fee|| |
LRC course over 4 days:
Four day LRC course with exam at our training studio near Southampton with access to our pre-course on-line study.
|13th June, 2019 ||16th June, 2019||£ 440.00||£140.00|
|25th July, 2019 ||28th July, 2019||£ 440.00||£140.00|
|23rd September, 2019 ||26th September, 2019||£ 440.00||£140.00|
|5th October, 2019 ||8th October, 2019||£ 440.00||£140.00|
|21st October, 2019 ||24th October, 2019||£ 440.00||£140.00|
|5th December, 2019 ||8th December, 2019||£ 440.00||£140.00|
Group and Individual tuition available by
About the Long Range Certificate
The Global Maritime
Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) Long Range Certificate is a higher level
certificate to the RYA Short Range Certificate and allows you to operate on any
marine MF/HF/VHF frequency/channel and Inmarsat satellite from on-board your
We keep the technical stuff to a minimum and concentrate on the
practical use of equipment. Knowledge of Morse code is not required.
The GMDSS Long Range Certificate is an ideal course for skippers of
non-SOLAS vessels, commercially endorsed yachtsman or off-shore and ocean
leisure sailor looking at blue water sailing.
NOTE: The Long Range Certificate covers both VHF
and MF/HF (SSB).
If you hold a Long Range Certificate you do NOT have to
have an RYA Short Range Certificate!
The agenda for each day is as follows:-
- Day 1 - Radio propagation, frequencies, SSB and VHF
operation, GMDSS, Navtex, EPIRB, SART, weatherfax and email
- Day 2 - Digital Selective Calling (DSC), radio
regulations, radio procedures, Inmarsat Satellite & EGC SafetyNET.
- Day 3 - Practical use of equipment including GMDSS
procedures, radio telephone group exercise and mock exams.
- Day 4 - Revision, course conclusion and exam.
YachtCom has a wide range of equipment:-
- Marine MH/HF (SSB) transceiver -Icom M801E and
- Marine VHF transceivers - Icom M601, M323
- ICOM IC-M623 VHF transceiver
- ICS Electronics DSC2 DSC class 'A' DSC unit
- NASA NAVTEX receiver
- EPIRB and SART
- Inmarast-C simulator
About the Exam:-
- The certificate is issued by Radio Colleges (AMERC) on behalf of the
- The exam is in 4 parts and is independently examined
on the final day at YachtCom's training studio.
- Prerequisites: Candidates must be 16 or over to
- At YachtCom we have a maximum of 6 students per
Bent Lisdorf said: "I had studied the LRC syllabus before arriving at the LRC course February 2008.That was a good idea. Even if Bob is an eminent, outmost competent and inspiring instructor, you have to do a good part of the job by yourself if you want to pass the exam. I did, and by this occasion I want to thank Bob for four nice days and a passed exam. Bent from Bruxelles OUT"
here to read more customer feedback ...